Philadelphia Proofreading / Editing
Send your project to us; we'll return it promptly and properly, whether it's a manuscript, a dissertation or some other form of writing.
Founded in 1682, Philadelphia is now the fifth largest city in the United states with 142 square miles of land and 1.6 million residents. The Philadelphia metro area is home to 6.1 million people. Philadelphia has 41 million annual visitors.
Philly, The City of Brotherly Love, The Birthplace of America, The City that Loves You Back, The City of Neighborhoods, The Quaker City, and The Cradle of Liberty.
- 1740-university (University of Pennsylvania)
- 1682-city in the western hemisphere to guarantee religious freedom
- 1731-library (The Library Company of Philadelphia)
- 1736-volunteer fire department
- 1751-hospital (Philadelphia Hospital)
- 1765-medical school
- 1776-naval shipyard
- 1784-America's first newspaper (The Philadelphia Packet and Daily Advertiser)
- 1787-African-American church (Mother Bethel African American Methodist Episcopal Church)
- 1790-stock exchange in U.S. (now called NASDAQ)
- 1792-federal building (Philadelphia Mint)
- 1856-Republican National Convention
- 1874-zoo (Philadelphia Zoo)
- 1946-computer (ENIAC)
- 1920-Thanksgiving Day parade
- 1747-lightning rod
- 1807-soda pop
- 1858-pencil with attached eraser
- 1874-ice-cream soda
- 1880-candy corn
- 1888-revolving doors
- 1890-toilet paper roll
- 1923-bubble gum
- 1955-polio vaccine
- 1982-smiley face emoticon
Philly Fun Facts
- One of every six doctors is trained in Philadelphia.
- Walnut Street Theater is the oldest running English-speaking theater in the world.
- City Hall is the country's largest municipal building.
- Penn Museum has the largest sphinx in the western hemisphere.
- Philadelphians eat 12 times more pretzels than the average U.S. citizen. Pennsylvania is the first place in the U.S. to have soft pretzels, which came from the Dutch (1861)
- In 1957, American Bandstand had its original home in Philly
Ahmir-Khalib Thompson, Andrew M. Allen, Andy Breckman, Benjamin Chew Tilghman, Benjamin Rush, Bil Keane, Bill Tilden, Billie Holiday, Chris Matthews, Christopher Ferguson, David Brenner, Dom Irrera, Ed Bradley, Ed Wynn, Eddie Fisher, Elaine May, Elisha Kane, Fabian, Frank Wycheck, Gary Dourdan, Gloria Allred, Grace Kelly, Harold Kosoff, Howard Head, Imogene Coca, Jack Klugman, Janet Gaynor, John Backus, John Barrymore, John Cappelletti, Joshua Wurman, Kim Delaney, Kobe Bryant, Larry Fine, Lauren Cohan, Lionel Barrymore, Lisa Lopes, Lois Hamilton, Man Ray, Marc Blitzstein, Marian Anderson, Mario Lanza, Marsha A. Hunt, Martin Sherman, Michael Buffer, Michael Medved, Michelle Malkin, Noam Chomsky, Norman Fell, Owen Wister, Parker Stevenson, Richard Brooks, Richard Deacon, Roy Campanella, Sam Wood, Samuel Leeds Allen, Seth Green, Sheila Lukins, Toukie Smith, Wilt Chamberlain.